One way to mitigate risk is by reducing the probability of unfavorable outcome(s). Such actions only affect the likelihood of the adverse events, but not the severity of the outcomes.
- Safe deposit boxes minimize the likelihood that precious contents will fall into the wrong hands
- Car alarms reduce the likelihood of theft
- Birth control pills reduce the likelihood of pregnancy
- Perimeter defense systems reduce the likelihood of break-ins
- Sewage systems reduce likelihood of disease outbreak